Knee Injury Therapy
Sheltering Arms Institute (SAI)
Who We Are
Sheltering Arms Institute is a state-of-the-science, 114-bed, rehabilitation hospital that blends advanced technology, research, and evidence-based clinical care to create superior outcomes for patients.
- 212,063 total square feet,
- All private patient rooms,
- Traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, complex care, stroke, and general rehabilitation units,
- 9,251 sq. ft. main therapy gym and three satellite gyms,
- Research, conference, and outdoor space,
- Physician, psychology, and nursing services,
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy,
- Therapeutic recreation,
- Cutting-edge patient care technology and rehabilitation equipment,
- Chapel and dining room,
- Designated visitor areas.
Knee treatments are unique based upon what’s causing your knee pain and the team at Sheltering Arms Institute will help patients as they recover. Treatments may include physical therapy or other strengthening exercises based on the specific condition that is causing pain. For patients who are physically active or practice a sport, exercises to create good techniques or correct movement patterns that may be affecting your knees during your sport or activity are part of the treatment plan.
To improve flexibility and balance, exercises also are important. Arch supports, sometimes with wedges on one side of the heel, may help move pressure away from the side of the knee most affected by osteoarthritis. Different types of braces may be useful to help protect and support the knee joint. In some cases, the physician may recommend injecting medications or other substances directly into a joint.
In some circumstances, an injury may require surgery and the dedicated team of rehabilitation professionals at Sheltering Arms Institute helps with a patient's recovery.