What is Login.gov?
Login.gov is an easy-to-use, U.S. federal government-provided credential that is built with modern security standards. It offers one account that provides access to VA digital products and services, as well as access to other government agencies. The first time you access products or services at VA that require a higher level of assurance, you may be asked to verify your identity through Login.gov. You can use your existing Login.gov account.
Login.gov, which can be used to sign in to VA.gov, My HealtheVet, VA/DoD eBenefits, and the VA flagship mobile app, among other VA services, offers a slew of other benefits. For instance, it can be used to securely sign in when you apply for federal jobs on USAJOBS. One can also access the Trusted Traveler Programs at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and apply for small business loans and disaster assistance at the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Plus, Login.gov support includes an online Help Center with FAQs and step-by-step instructions providing guidance and illustration, as well as a Help ticket submission form to explain your inquiry and receive a response. A toll-free phone number is available for human interaction and support. Login.gov also allows you to self-manage by changing your phone number, password and email address, along with your multifactor authentication method.
Multifactor authentication is an extra layer of protection to help VA make sure it’s you who’s trying to access your account, not a hacker.
How to create a Login.gov account
Creating a Login.gov account is easy:
- Go to VA.gov, select Sign In and choose to create a Login.gov account.
- Enter and confirm access to your unique email address.
- Each time you sign into a VA website or app, you’ll use the multifactor identification method that you selected to verify you’re you. You can change the multifactor method and choose the one that’s right for you. The most common method is to receive a security code by text message, phone call or through another option that you choose. (This method cannot be used by Veterans in unsupported locations.)
- Enter the security code to access your account.
- To verify one’s identity, a user must provide personal information and upload a photo of his/her government-issued ID or driver’s license.
Visit Login.gov to learn more about what’s needed to create an account. The Login.gov help section provides additional support if needed. You can use Login.gov or continue using other sign-in options, such as My HealtheVet, DS Logon or ID.me.
► View Login-gov YouTube Video for more information.