The Virginia Bar Association's Veterans Issues Task Force, started in 2009 to provide pro bono and low-cost legal assistance and legal referrals to veterans, servicemembers and their families, has suspended its service.
But we do want to try to help. If you need legal assistance and are a veteran or servicemember, or a family member of a veteran or servicemember, the following resources may be able to assist you:
- American Bar Association Home Front Directory is a list of free and low-cost legal service programs available to assist veterans, servicemembers and their families.
- M-Vets, Masons Veterans and Servicemembers Legal Clinic at George Mason University's Antonin Scalia Law School, accepts general civil cases, including uncontested family law cases and service-related legal issue cases. Call 703-993-8214.
- Collaborative Family Law Program is a collaborative approach to divorce and other family law issues. Reach this program by phone at 804-464-3443.
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia addresses general civil matters as well as assistance to veterans. Call 703-778-6800.
- Virginia Lawyer Referral Service can help arrange for individuals to have a 30-minute consultation with a Virginia-licensed attorney for a small fee. The toll-free number is 800-552-7977.
- William & Mary Lewis B. Puller Jr. Veterans Benefits Clinic provides assistance with filing Veterans Affairs disability compensation claims.