The Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)
This card provides:
- Increased security for your personal information - no personally identifiable information is contained on the magnetic stripe or barcode.
- Unique Member Identifier -- Department of Defense assigns an electronic data interchange personal identifier (EDIPI) that allows VA to retrieve the Veteran’s health record.
- A salute to your military service – The emblem of your latest branch of service is displayed on your card. Several special awards will also be listed.
- Accessibility – Braille "VA" helps visually impaired Veterans to recognize and use the card
- Anti-Counterfeiting – Microtext helps prevent reproductions
The VHIC is issued only to Veterans who are enrolled in the VA health care system.
Purpose of the VHIC
The VHIC is for identification and check-in at VA appointments. It cannot be used as a credit card or an insurance card, and it does not authorize or pay for care at non-VA facilities. Follow this link to learn how you can receive a VHIC.